Your teeth perform numerous essential tasks every single day. You do your best to care for them every day to keep them strong and healthy, but sometimes, things happen, and they suffer damage. Damage to your teeth can have several negative side effects. Not only can the damage compromise your oral health, but it can also affect your smile, causing you to become self-conscious. At National Dental Sunnyside, we can restore your oral health and your confidence with dental crowns.
RESTORING THE HEALTH AND BEAUTY OF YOUR SMILE
When your teeth are damaged, the quality of your smile can be significantly affected. Not only that, but more serious damage can compromise the health and integrity of the affected teeth. The damage that extends past the enamel and into the inner layer of the tooth (the dentin). This can allow oral bacteria to travel into the tooth, causing a painful infection. The damage can also grow worse, causing the tooth to split or shatter. At National Dental, we can provide you with dental crowns. A dental crown is essentially a “cap” that covers the entire exposed portion of your tooth, providing strength and protection. Some types of crowns can restore the aesthetics of the tooth as well, giving you back your beautiful smile.
TYPES OF DENTAL CROWNS
There are several types of dental crowns:
- Metal crowns. Metal has been used for crowns for several decades. The material is unparalleled in strength. They can last up to 50 years or more and are practically indestructible. Despite their strength, metal crowns are not very aesthetic. The color of the material (silver or gold) stands out significantly against the color of your natural teeth.
- Porcelain fused to metal crowns. PFM crowns combine the strength of metal with the aesthetics of porcelain. The base of the crown, which surrounds your tooth, is made of metal, with a porcelain coating. While this option is better for appearance, they often have a thin metal line that shows through at the bottom of the crown.
- Ceramic. Ceramic crowns (made entirely of ceramic) are the best option for aesthetics. The material perfectly mimics many properties of natural enamel, including color and light reflection. While not as strong as metal, ceramic can withstand normal biting and chewing forces. These features make them ideal for teeth toward the front of your mouth.
HOW ARE DENTAL CROWNS PLACED?
It typically takes two separate visits to place your crown. During your first visit, we prepare the damaged tooth. This process involves the removal of a portion of your enamel, which creates the space necessary for your crown to fit naturally and comfortably in with the rest of your teeth. Next, we take an impression. The impression is sent off to a lab, where your custom crown is designed and created. While you wait for your final restoration (which can take up to two weeks), a temporary crown will be placed to protect your tooth from infection. Once your crown is ready, we will check to ensure fit, and then cement it into place.
BENEFITS OF DENTAL CROWNS
There are several benefits to dental crowns:
- Crowns made from the ceramic blend in beautifully with the rest of your smile.
- They protect a damaged tooth from infection and provide a weak tooth with strength.
- They help to avoid the need for an extraction.
- Crowns anchor dental bridges and can cover the screws used for dental implants.
If damage to your teeth has compromised their health and their beauty, call National Dental Sunnyside today at (718) 925-3365 to find out if dental crowns are right for you.