When you lose your teeth, replacing them is essential to maintaining your quality of life. For years, 1 to 3 missing teeth have been replaced with dental bridges, several consecutive teeth in one area of your mouth have been replaced with partial dentures, and if you were missing all of your teeth, you were provided with dentures. Many developments have greatly improved these restorations, but they still have their drawbacks. Today, at National Dental Sunnyside, you have another option – dental implants. You may even be able to get them the same day.
WHAT ARE DENTAL IMPLANTS?
Dental implants are unlike any other restoration option available. They consist of small titanium rods that require a surgical procedure to place them in your jaw. To be successful, implants rely on a process known as osseointegration. This is the process during which your jawbone fuses to the implants while you recover from your surgery. When osseointegration is successful, the titanium rods are similar to the roots of your natural teeth. They provide a strong, stable support for your replacement teeth.
Along with the titanium rods, dental implants also consist of abutments, or connectors, which are placed on the exposed ends of the implants. They also consist of your replacement teeth, which are typically made out of ceramic. Ceramic can be stained and finished to match the color of the rest of your teeth. It also mimics the light reflecting properties of enamel. These traits allow your replacement teeth to look completely natural and blend in with any other teeth that are remaining. Both the functions and the aesthetics of your smile are completely restored
TYPES OF DENTAL IMPLANTS
Everyone’s tooth replacement needs are different. Some are only missing one tooth, while others are missing several. Others, still, are missing all of their teeth. Dental implants can be customized to meet just about any need. There are several types of dental implants:
- Single tooth implants. Single tooth implants, as the name suggests, are meant to replace one missing tooth. A single titanium rod is inserted into your jaw to support a single ceramic crown.
- Multiple tooth implants. Multiple tooth implants, known as implant supported bridges, are made to replace sections of missing teeth, taking the place of traditional bridges and partial dentures. One or more implants (depending upon your specific needs) are used to support your new teeth.
- Implant supported dentures. When you are missing all of your teeth, implant supported dentures may be an option. They can replace missing teeth from your upper jaw, your lower jaw, or both. Your replacement teeth are supported on 6 to 8 dental implants.
- All-on-4® Treatment Concept. When you lose your teeth, your jawbone begins to resorb and grows weak. When your jawbone is too weak, it may be unable to support the six to eight implants required to support your replacement teeth. This can result in implant failure. Even if one implant fails, your entire implant supported denture is compromised. The All-on-4® Treatment Concept allows those with the bone loss the ability to enjoy the benefits of dental implants by supporting the replacement teeth on four strategically placed implants.
THE TYPICAL IMPLANT PROCEDURE
Implants require a surgical procedure. On the day of your procedure, a local anesthetic is administered at the surgical site. If you are anxious about your procedure, we can also provide you with sedation to help you relax. We then make incisions in your gums, exposing the jawbone. Holes are drilled into your jaw, and the implants are placed. We suture your gums closed around the implant, leaving a small amount exposed above the gum tissue. You are provided with temporary teeth while you heal.
Healing from surgery can take several weeks to several months, depending on the number of implants you have placed. As you heal, we will monitor your progress to ensure that your jawbone is fusing properly. When you have healed, we then begin the process of creating your permanent replacement teeth. The temporary teeth are removed, and the abutments are placed. Impressions are taken of your mouth, which are sent to our lab for design and fabrication. This process can take up to two weeks. Your temporary teeth will be set back in place until your permanent replacements are ready. Once they are finished, your permanent teeth will be screwed in place.
GETTING YOUR TEETH THE SAME DAY
At National Dental, we can offer you same day teeth. Thanks to developments in dental technology, your permanent teeth are ready and waiting for you on the day of your implant surgery. This is possible with our ICAT machine and CAD/CAM (computer-aided design/computer-aided manufacturing) technology. Before your scheduled surgery, we use the ICAT to take a digital impression of your mouth. The ICAT generates a 3-dimensional image with exact 1:1 measurements. Specialized software allows for us to design restorations that will fit perfectly in your mouth. Once they have been designed, the information is sent to a milling machine, where your replacement teeth are created.
Your replacement teeth will be waiting for you when you arrive for your implant surgery. As soon as your gums have been stitched around the implants, the abutments are placed on top, and your teeth are secured with screws. You will still need to attend periodic follow-up visits so that we can check the progress of your healing and make sure that your bone is fusing properly with the implants, but you will not need to wear temporary teeth.
BENEFITS OF SAME DAY TEETH
There are several benefits that come with same day teeth. The biggest benefit is that you leave your implant surgery with your fully-functional, permanent replacement teeth. The waiting and the need for temporary teeth is eliminated. Other benefits of same day teeth are the same as the benefits of regular dental implants:
- You can eat all of your favorite foods again. Your ability to chew will be restored, which will improve your digestion and your overall nutrition.
- You will be able to speak normally again and be understood.
- Your smile, along with your confidence, will be restored.
- Implants are more comfortable. Your replacement teeth are supported by the implants, rather than your gums or your adjacent teeth.
- Implants are easier to care for. Your replacement teeth can be brushed just like your natural teeth.
- Implants provide a permanent solution to tooth loss. The titanium rods imitate the functions of the roots of your natural teeth. They stimulate your jawbone, preventing the bone loss typically associated with tooth loss. This eliminates the need for your restorations to be replaced every few years.
Learn more about dental implants:
Dental implants can provide you with a beautiful, permanent replacement following tooth loss. To find out if same day teeth are right for you, contact National Dental Sunnyside today at (718) 925-3365.