Technological developments are being made all throughout the field of dentistry. These developments are vastly improving the diagnostic process, as well as the development of highly effective treatment plans. At National Dental Sunnyside, we pride ourselves in the fact that we utilize many of these developments, including ICAT technology.
WHAT IS ICAT?
ICAT is a type of digital imaging technology, much like digital X-rays, CT scans and CAT scans. This type of imaging is much more advanced. The technology of the ICAT machine resembles that of the technology for digital X-rays. The images, however, more closely resemble the images produced by CT scans. The ICAT machine consists of a cone-shaped X-ray beam, which rotates one full circle around your head. As it moves, it captures numerous images. Once the scan is complete, all of the images are placed together, generating a single 3-dimensional image of your teeth, bones, soft tissues and your nerves. This image allows for us to provide you with a much more accurate diagnosis and a highly customized, highly effective treatment plan.
WHAT IS ICAT USED FOR?
The image produced by the ICAT machine has several uses:
- Diagnosing impacted wisdom teeth.
- Diagnosing pathological diseases.
- Getting a better look at your sinus cavities, your nasal passageways, and even your nerve passageways.
- Getting a better view of the internal structures of your teeth, which can then help us to plan a more effective root canal procedure.
- Assessing the condition of your jawbone (bone loss).
- Determining whether or not you are a candidate for dental implants.
- Planning jaw surgery.
HOW DO I PREPARE?
There is very minimal preparation that needs to be done before an ICAT scan. When you arrive, you will be instructed to remove any jewelry that you are wearing, such as necklaces and piercings. If you have any metal in your hair – pins, clip, or ties with metal – these will need to be removed as well. Finally, if you wear them, you will need to remove your glasses and hearing aids.
GETTING YOUR SCAN
Once you are ready, we will instruct you to sit at the machine and place your chin on the rest. We will make all the necessary adjustments that will allow for us to get the best scan possible. Then your scan will begin. Your scan will be quick, taking less than a minute to complete, but it is very important that you remain completely still. Very shortly after your scan is complete, the image will display on a computer monitor, ready for reading.
BENEFITS OF ICAT
ICAT technology offers us numerous benefits:
- Your scan is quick (less than one minute), and is completely pain-free.
- The image displays on a computer monitor within seconds of your scan finishing. You will also be able to see your image as we read it, and we can help you understand what you are looking at.
- One scan shows us your teeth, your bones, your soft tissues, and your nerves.
- The image is 3-dimensional and allows us to see your mouth from several different angles.
- The specialized software provides us with the ability to manipulate your image in some different ways, including zooming in on certain areas and enhancing them for more clarity.
- Exact 1 to 1 measurements allows us to create restorations that will fit perfectly within your mouth.
ICAT technology has greatly improved our ability to both diagnose serious oral health issues and provide you with the best possible treatments. For more information, call National Dental Sunnyside today at (718) 925-3365.