At National Dental Sunnyside, we believe that visiting the dentist’s office can be fun. We are committed to creating an atmosphere of comfort and friendliness that will put even the youngest patients at ease. Learning about proper oral hygiene habits early on can help your child enjoy healthy teeth and gums into adulthood and beyond.
Your Child’s First Dental Visit
The American Dental Association suggests that children should visit the dentist by the time they turn one or within six months of their first tooth growing in. This will not only introduce your child to dentistry at a young age, it will also allow your doctor to identify any potential issues. In most cases, your child’s first visit to our office will be fairly short. Your doctor will examine the existing teeth, soft tissues, and all surrounding maxillofacial structures. Depending on your child’s specific needs and age, we may perform a dental cleaning or recommend preventative treatments.>> Learn more about Your child’s first visit
Preventative care is the foundation of dentistry. After all, being proactive can help patients of all ages avoid serious complications in the future. We offer a number of preventative services for children to help keep their teeth and gums healthy. Some of these treatments include:
- Cleanings and examinations: Like adults, children require routine dental visits. During these appointments, your doctor will assess the teeth and gums to ensure everything is functioning well. Our hygienist will also clean your child’s teeth to remove plaque and bacteria. Generally, we recommend that your child receive a dental cleaning approximately every six months.
- Fluoride treatments: When the enamel begins to demineralize, teeth become more susceptible to decay. Topical fluoride treatments actively remineralize the outer layers of the teeth, making them more resilient to cavities.
- Dental sealants: Back teeth often have deep grooves in the chewing surfaces. These areas can harbor plaque, debris, and food particles, making them vulnerable to decay. Dental sealants can be placed to shield these teeth from bacteria.
Making Education Fun
At National Dental Sunnyside, our team of professionals strive to make education fun. In addition to cleaning your child’s teeth, we will also demonstrate helpful brushing and flossing techniques so that your child can keep his or her teeth healthy between visits. We understand it can be challenging to keep young children excited about oral hygiene. Here are a few tips and tricks that may help:
- Make a habit of brushing with your child
- Consider a reward system for a job well done
- Sing songs or read books about oral health
- Allow your child to pick our his or her own soft toothbrush
The Importance of Mouth Guards
When it comes to preventative care, another thing to consider is an athletic mouth guard. If your child plays contact sports of any kind, it is imperative to protect their teeth. Over-the-counter options can be purchased in department or sporting goods stores. While somewhat effective, many parents find that their children do not wear them because they are cumbersome. A custom-made mouth guard, available at National Dental, is designed to fit snugly over the teeth for maximum comfort.>> Learn more about Mouthguards
Contact National Dental in Sunnyside
Healthy habits begin at a young age. If you are searching for pediatric dental care in Queens, contact us online or call our Sunnyside office at (718) 925-3365.