A key component of your smile is your teeth. Bright white teeth help to provide you with a beautiful, confident smile. However, over time, your teeth can become discolored and dull, dimming your smile’s brightness, and affecting your confidence. Certain factors can cause your teeth to become significantly discolored. At National Dental Sunnyside, we can help to restore the beauty of your smile with professional whitening.
HOW DOES DISCOLORATION OCCUR?
There are several different things that can cause your teeth to become discolored:
- The things you eat and drink. Certain foods and beverages, such as coffee, red wine, dark berries and curry, all contain high amounts of dark pigments. These pigments stick to the enamel of your teeth, dulling the color.
- Lifestyle habits. Smoking and the use of other tobacco products can greatly contribute to discoloration. These products contain thousands of chemicals. Two of these chemicals are responsible for staining – tar and nicotine. Tar is naturally dark in color. Nicotine, on the other hand, is colorless, until it comes into contact with oxygen.
- Your medication. Certain medications, such as some blood pressure, asthma and allergy medicines, can discolor your teeth. Other medications, such as tetracycline and doxycycline can stain from the inside.
- Age. As you get older, your enamel thins and the dentin (which is naturally darker in color) begins to show through.
CAN’T I JUST GET SOMETHING OVER THE COUNTER?
There are plenty of whitening products available over the counter – toothpaste, strips, gels, pens. Whitening toothpaste contains abrasives that scrub away surface stains. Strips, gels, and pens contain low levels of bleaching agents. These products can help with minor stains, but they don’t often allow you to achieve the results you are looking for.
National Dental offers two types of professional whitening. Our chairside whitening is performed right here in our office. It takes an hour to complete. After applying a protective gel to your gums, we apply the bleaching agent to your teeth. Bleaching agents contain an active ingredient of either hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide. We aim a light at your teeth, which activates the peroxide ingredient, and enhances its effects. Your teeth are noticeably several shades whiter almost immediately.
TAKE HOME TRAYS
Our other option for you is take home trays. These custom-fit trays allow you to whiten on your own time. We provide you with the trays and the bleaching agent. You will wear the trays between 4 and 8 hours a day. Based on your needs, we will determine how many days they should be worn. The results are typically visible in a week.
HOW DO I MAKE THE RESULTS LAST LONGER?
Whitening can provide you with a whiter, brighter smile, but the results are not permanent. There are ways that you can help to prolong the effects of your treatment:
- Avoid, or limit, foods that can cause stains.
- Brush and floss daily. Moreover, do not ignore your regular 6-month cleanings.. Following foods and beverages that can stain with a glass of water can help to wash away pigments before they have a chance to adhere.
- Drink through a straw. This will allow liquids to bypass your teeth.
- Quit smoking (and other tobacco products).
- Brush and floss daily. Moreover, do not ignore your regular 6-month cleanings.
BENEFITS OF WHITENING
Whitening at National Dental Sunnyside offers several benefits:
- You achieve your desired results in less time.
- Your teeth can be made several shades whiter.
- Your smile is restored, which can also restore your confidence.
- You may look years younger.
If discoloration has you hiding your smile, whitening can help. Call National Dental Sunnyside today at (718) 925-3365 to discuss your options.